This position is a key member of the Aziyo Biologics team involving the execution of the Company’s goals and objectives related to research and development.
This position will work in a collaborative team environment to design assays for the scientific characterization and development of tissue-based and biomaterial products in compliance with Aziyo’s quality and regulatory standards. The ideal candidate is able to effectively handle multiple tasks, while learning and adapting to different projects. The successful candidate will execute, optimize, and analyze a broad range of bioassays, biomechanical and material characterizations, and product prototyping. In addition, this position will support the development of manufacturing processes, including scale up for full production and/or production transfer. The position will also supply scientific data for use by Aziyo’s marketing department.
Position reports to the Principal Scientist in Silver Spring
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Optimize tissue decellularization and processing methods.
- Conduct and analyze in vitro and in vivo characterization studies of tissue or biomaterial products.
- Generate data to understand interaction of cells and extracellular matrices as applicable to solving clinical problems.
- Employ critical thinking for troubleshooting experiments and data analysis, and deliver project milestones in a timely manner.
- Create research reports and technical briefs in support of launched products.
- Interact with Marketing, Manufacturing, Quality Assurance and other relevant divisions in the development of tissue-based/biomaterial products.
- Generate standard operating procedures and transfer methods to manufacturing using Aziyo’s Manufacturing and Quality Control systems.
- Review and understand literature related to assigned projects and competitive products in the marketplace.
- Present scientific data at periodic R&D meetings.
- Formulate ideas and collect data to support patent applications.
- BS or Master’s degree in Biological Sciences, Engineering, or a related Life Sciences field from an accredited college or university.
Experience and Skills
- BS with 3+ years, or Master’s degree with 1-3 years of work and lab experience in regenerative medicine, bioengineering, tissue engineering, biomaterial or biological science fields.
- Experience with mammalian cell culture, cell-based assays, cell imaging and microscope work, tissue decellularization, natural or synthetic scaffold characterization, biomechanical testing, and product prototyping.
- Proficiency in molecular biology techniques including qPCR, immunohistochemistry, and ELISAs
- Excellent written, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to stand for long periods of time.
Aziyo Biologics is an equal opportunity employer committed to affirmative action and diversity in our workforce.
Connect with Us
Stay up-to-date on our latest developments by connecting with us on LinkedIn.