This position is a key member of the Aziyo Biologics team and as such develops, plans and executes projects to improve the quality of products and support systems.
This position’s responsibilities involve analyzing quality metrics of existing products to identify target areas for improvement, to design experiments to test the validity of the identified relationships, and to define how changes will be implemented. The Quality Engineer will also author protocols and reports to verify or validate products, equipment, and/or processes in order to support the launch of new products or changes to existing systems. Critical to the role is ensuring compliance with regulatory standards, laws and requirements of requisite agencies by employing appropriate systems/processes.
Position reports to the Manager, Engineering.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop and maintain an understanding of the requirements of the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Code of Federal Regulations Title 21, Parts 820 and 1271; American Association of Tissue Banks (AATB) and others, as applicable, and adhere to standards and regulations to help the company lead the Biologics industries in quality practices.
- Develop and maintain a technical understanding of the company products and general biological and chemical systems utilized by Aziyo Biologics. Understand how the activities performed are controlled by and interact with the Quality System and how they affect the production of tissues.
- Collect and analyze data describing the quality metrics of existing products and identify potential areas of improvement.
- Define, develop, plan, and implement process changes.
- Coordinate and execute validation studies (IQ, OQ, PQ) including writing protocols, analyzing and documenting results and generating a final validation report. Validation activities include, but are not limited to, equipment qualification, packaging qualification, process validation, cleaning/sterilization validation and computer related systems (i.e. spreadsheets) validation.
- Support and/or author SOPs in coordination with validation test results.
- Design experiments and interpret experimental data generating informed analytical decisions to support validation activities.
- Develop, validate, and execute test methodology focused on understanding and/or measuring the biological systems within tissue products.
- Create, consult, and contribute to the specification and selection of equipment and processes to facilitate production and product evaluation.
- Facilitate the transfer of projects from Research and Development to routine production.
- Identify, analyze and correct manufacturing issues to ensure continuous supply of commercial products and identify target areas to improve production efficiencies.
- Assist in capability development and certification programs within the organization to develop and train all levels of the organization in the use of OE processes, tools and methodologies.
Bachelor’s degree in Life Sciences or Engineering (or other related technical degree).
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of three years of experience in quality engineering.
- Experience in a FDA-regulated environment, with knowledge of 21 CFR Part 1271, Human Cells, Tissues, and Cellular and Tissue-Based Products (HTC/P) preferred.
- Ability to understand and design policies and procedures based on FDA, AATB, and OSHA regulations.
- Advanced PC, database and Microsoft Office skills.
- Experience with development of IQ, OQ, PQ and SOPs.
- Experience analyzing data through Excel, MiniTab, JMP, etc.
- Experience interpreting microbiological results and investigating discrepancies.
Aziyo Biologics is an equal opportunity employer committed to affirmative action and diversity in our workforce.
Connect with Us
Stay up-to-date on our latest developments by connecting with us on LinkedIn.