This position is a key member of the Company’s leadership team and as such is involved in setting the long-term vision and strategy as well as short-term goals and objectives.
This position is responsible for leading the Company’s legal function from strategic initiatives to tactical development and execution of the legal plan. This position will be responsible for providing general legal support to all aspects of the Company to include commercial, clinical/ medical, operations, finance and administration.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- With other members of the leadership team execute on the Company’s long-term strategic vision and short-term goals and objectives. Responsible for reporting to the executive leadership team and Board of Directors as requested.
- Manage all aspects of the Company’s legal function (contracts, compliance, IP, employee relations, legal action, etc.).
- Negotiate and review contracts relating to all aspects of the company’s business including leases and purchase agreements, strategic partnerships, customer agreements, clinical/ medical (key opinion leader) agreements, and employment-related agreements.
- Advise the leadership team and Board of Directors on risks related to certain business conduct and the potential impact that such risks may have on the Company; Work with the executive leadership team on risk mitigation plans.
- Manage the Company’s compliance program; conduct employee training and development.
- Partner with Human Resources on conducting internal investigations relating to alleged employment law, compliance violations and/ or employee relations issues.
- Work with the Product Development team on managing the Company’s Intellectual Property estate.
- Partner with Finance on SEC filings and compliance.
- Hire and manage outside counsel.
JD/ BA or BS in a relevant degree program such as business management, marketing, or life science.
Experience and Skills
- 10+ years of experience in legal roles of increasing scope and responsibility.
- 5+ years of legal experience working in the life science industry, preferably in the biologics/ medical device space.
- In-house counsel experience a plus.
- Have substantial experience with drafting and negotiating agreements for life sciences companies, such as clinical trial, manufacturing, supply, and distribution agreements.
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize work appropriately.
- Strong communication (written, oral and interpersonal) and presentation skills. Must have demonstrated experience presenting to diverse audiences including but not limited to employees, customers, key opinion leaders, and Board of Directors.
- Excellent judgment and decision making capabilities; must be able to formulate business solutions.
- Must have the demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with various internal departments and leaders; ability to drive results through partnership, mutual respect and trust.
This position may be remote- based or based in one of the Company’s three work locations (Silver Spring, MD; Roswell, GA; Richmond, CA). Travel may be required as the needs of the business dictate.