Medical Science Liaison – East
The field-based Medical Science Liaison (MSL) is a highly trained professional with strong clinical and/ or scientific background who must have excellent communication skills and emotional intelligence. The MSL will be responsible for identifying, managing, and maintaining current and future relationships with Healthcare Providers (HCPs) and other Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) of the scientific community. The MSL will build these relationships based on the Medical Affairs Plan objectives and may also provide clinical support when needed. Preferred location for candidates is Chicago, IL, Atlanta, GA, or New York City, NY metro area.
This position is a key member of Aziyo Biologics Medical Affairs team, to support successful establishment of current and future product offerings which span several therapeutic areas including but not limited to cardiovascular, plastic, and reconstructive surgery. This position reports directly to the Senior Director, Medical Affairs
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
Maintenance of Scientific Expertise
- Routine self-paced reading of current publications
- Participate in training sessions to enhance the Company’s scientific/ medical outreach
Opinion Leader Engagement
- Be a liaison between KOLs and internal partners
- Research, select, and validate opinion leader status
- Develop and maintain relationships with national and regional KOLs in several therapeutic areas
- Be the voice of the Company’s medical/ scientific efforts to strategic partners and healthcare professionals
Direct Scientific Exchange
- Provide medical education to HCPs to ensure the safe and effective use of Aziyo products
- Respond to unsolicited Medical Information Requests in a timely manner according to policy, when needed
- Present to internal and external audiences
- Adhere to SOP and FDA guidance for distribution of scientific information
- Provide internal and external customers with medical and scientific information on the appropriate utilization of specific Aziyo Biologics products, and with more general information about their therapeutic area and disease state.
Professional Organization Involvement
- Advance the company’s scientific leadership in regenerative medicine through participation in conferences and scientific meetings.
- Gather field intelligence such as current/ future therapeutic area trends and competitive activity.
Collaborate as an Internal Scientific Expert
- Represent Medical Affairs on product launch teams to provide medical insights and assist with overall product strategies
- Assist with the publication of scientific data in support of Company’s commercial programs
- Provide input in business development initiatives from diligence to integration, as needed
Advanced clinical or scientific degree required (M.D., N.P., P.A., Ph.D., PharmD)
Experience and Skills
- At least 5 years of experience in medical/ scientific roles of increasing scope and responsibility. Preferably at least 2 years in an MSL or similar role
- Industry experience required, preferably in the biologics/ regenerative medicine space
- Strong translational medical/ science experience; Ability to independently research responses to scientific inquiries and critically evaluate the medical literature
- Strong leadership skills; demonstrated ability to clearly develop and articulate long-term strategic vision and short-term goals and objectives to drive performance and results
- Ability to work independently as a proven self-starter
- Strong project management and organizational skills required; Ability to juggle multiple tasks and prioritize work appropriately
- Strong computer and technology literacy; demonstrated ability to utilize computer software and quickly learn new technology to build and facilitate effective information sharing
- Strong communication (written, oral, and interpersonal), pedagogy, and presentation skills. Must have prior experience presenting to diverse audiences including but not limited to physician/ surgeons, hospital administrators, KOLs, strategic partners, and employees.
- Credible and trustworthy; ability to interact in various ways with key stakeholders (internal and external) across their region
- Excellent judgment, decision making, and problem-solving capabilities; must be able to formulate business solutions
Ability to work collaboratively with various internal departments and leaders in a team environment; ability to drive results through partnership, mutual respect, and trust
This position is field-based, and applicant must have the ability to travel and manage a demanding schedule. Travel will be required as the needs of the business dictate (including some night and/ or weekend activities). Successful candidate must have a valid driver’s license, with no restrictions and/or revocations, as the ability to drive is essential to this position.