Head of Research and Development
This position is a key member of the Company’s leadership team and as such is involved in setting the Company’s long-term vision and short- term goals and objectives designed to successfully commercialize its current and future product offerings that span several therapeutic areas.
This position is responsible for leading the Company’s research and development efforts to include product development (tissue- based and cardiovascular/ other) and medical, clinical and regulatory affairs.
This position reports directly to the Chief Executive Officer.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- With other members of the executive leadership team develop the Company’s long-term strategic vision and short-term goals and objectives. Responsible for reporting on research and development initiatives to the executive leadership team and Board of Directors
- Establish the Company’s strategic research and development plan to include timelines, budgets and resource needs
- Provide exemplary scientific and operational leadership in identifying, evaluating and developing novel product development opportunities and technologies and leading them through development to commercial use
- Be the voice of the Company’s scientific/ development efforts to strategic partners and end users (surgeons); participate in training sessions to enhance the Company’s scientific/ medical outreach
- Develop and maintain relationships with national and regional key opinion leaders in several therapeutic areas
- Develop Company’s medical affairs program to include the infrastructure, processes and systems required to ensure compliance with all regulatory requirements
- Work closely with the commercial team to provide scientific and medical direction on launch plans and education of field- based sales team (direct/ partner)
- Publish scientific data in support of Company’s commercial programs
- Provide input in business development initiatives from diligence to integration, if appropriate
- Advance the company’s scientific leadership in regenerative medicine through participation in conferences and scientific meetings
- Manage the company’s patent estate and other intellectual property
Ph.D. and/or M.D. degree in life sciences or engineering.
Experience and Skills
- Strong familiarity with validation of regenerative medicine products.
- Strong translational science and clinical study experience.
- Overall business understanding including experience in business development, diligence, and licensing contracts.
- Proven leadership skills and ability to drive results.
- Highly regarded among peers and experts in academia & industry: solid record of maintaining and developing successful relationships with opinion leaders and investigators in various areas of biologics and health sciences.
- Fiscal responsibility: ability to facilitate commercial return from research and development investments.
- Strong ability to multi-task and to handle multiple priorities in discovery and development.
- Strong conceptual thinking and innovative skills and ability integrate input from diverse fields of research and product development.
- Strong communication and public presentation skills.